Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, March 4, 2011

First Lines...

" A Chinese saying goes: "In good fortune is always some misfortune, and in misfortune, always some good fortune.

Maybe they're right. After losing both my parents at twentyeight, I was abandoned - penniless - into this treacherous Ten Thousand Miles of Red Dust.

Or so I thought... "
Song of the Silk Road by Mingmei Yip (release date March 29, 2011!)

7 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I like the sound of this one; enjoy

Tea said...

Wonderful lines, thank you.

Darlene said...

I'll be reading this one as well. Isn't that an incredibly beautiful cover? I love it!

carla said...

That is a good saying. And it sounds like a really good story too. I wonder what the ten thousand miles of red dust is.

Melissa said...

I think I would read this book based on the cover alone.

Kaye said...

Wow, those are some attention getting first lines!

Harvee said...

I have to remember this one for the Chinese Literature Challenge 2011!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant