Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Friday, August 10, 2012

First Lines...


"A Sharp Clip-Clop of Iron-shod hoofs deadened and died away, and clouds of yellow dust drifted from under the cottonwoods out over the sage. 
Jane Withersteen gazed downt he wide purple slope with dreamy and troubled eyes. A rider had just left her and it was his message that held her thoughtful and almost sad, awaiting the churchmen who were coming to resent and attack her right to befriend a Gentile.''

Riders of The Purple Sage by Zane Grey, published 1912

2 comments:

Carla said...

I have always enjoyed Zane Grey. I think I read almost every one of his books in my teens. I loved his horses too!
I need to go back and reread them now that I am old-er.

asa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant