Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Southern Literature Reading Challenge 2014


The Southern Literature Reading Challenge 2014

I enjoy sweet tea, pralines, and Southern hospitality. I also enjoy reading fiction set in the South. What books come to mind when I think of the South? Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Help, and To Kill a Mockingbird to name just a few. So, when I saw this challenge hosted by Jennifer from The Introverted Reader all I could think of was wrapping myself up in some Southern hospitality between the pages of a good book. There are 4 levels, and I just want to go for it all, but since this isn't my only challenge, I'm going to be conservative and challenge myself to read 2 books. Here are the "rules" of the challenge...

The rules:

Read a book(s)--non-fiction or fiction of any genre, for any age group--written by an author from the South and set mostly in the South.

Definitions of the South are flexible, so I've decided to define it the way I want. That's the fun of hosting your own challenge, right? :-)

The states:
South Carolina,   Georgia,   Alabama,   North Carolina,   Virginia,   Tennessee,   Mississippi, Louisiana,   Kentucky,   West Virginia,   Texas,   Arkansas,   Florida

Please keep in mind that this is a Southern literature challenge. It's possible to find books set in each of these states that are not Southern in nature or feeling. Use your best judgment when choosing your books.

Levels:

Level 1--C'mon in the house! Read 1 book.

Level 2--Pull up a seat and stay a while! Read 2 books

Level 3--Have a glass of sweet iced tea, honey. Read 3 books

Level 4--Y'all come back now, y'hear! Read 4 books

The challenge will run from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. You can join in anytime throughout the year.

Interested in joining in? You can check out Jennifer's book blog and sign up at The Introverted Reader.

Challenge Books Read…

1. Palmetto Moon by Kim Boykin (takes place in South Carolina)

No comments:

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant