Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

First Line Fridays... or Do Those Lines Grab Us Hook, Line and Sinker or is it just a Sinker?

Back near the beginning of my blog, I use to enjoy sharing the first lines of a book that I had started reading or had picked up or intrigued me. I called it First Lines... and I posted it on Fridays (First Lines Friday). I always read a bit of a book before I buy it, even if someone recommended it or I've read a review and the story seems like something I would enjoy. The writing... that's what ultimately makes the decision for me whether I read a book or not. I either flip the book open to a random page and sample the writing that way or start with those first opening lines (Some say that those first lines can make or break a book). So, I thought I'd bring back First Lines Friday, design a cute little graphic to go with it (my dear husband, Jim, helped make that happen) and start sharing those first lines again to see if they hook us or not... Stop by this Friday for the first reincarnation of First Lines Friday and share what you think!

Happy reading... Suzanne

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Absolutely LOVE the graphic.

Anything with a typewriter on it, catches my attention.

I am a former business/typing teacher. I taught my first classes in 1974 on MANUAL typewriters. We all learned to type, but oh the noise.

40 typewriters clicking and clacking in one room, but I loved it. :)

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant