Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery... A Review

I am fascinated! I also had no idea about how an Octopus could interact with a human. This is a wonderful book on Sy Montgomery's exploration (literally) of the deep blue sea, The New England Aquarium, and of course the Octopuses she meets along the way. (yes, it's Octopuses!)

Sy Montgomery has a wonderful writing style that immerses you into the story and allows you to get to know these amazing creatures without getting your arms wet. After the first few chapters I was totally absorbed, and learning so much. I wish I could adopt one of these beautiful creatures, but I could never have a large enough aquarium. I CAN visit them at the New England Aquarium in Boston! Or any aquarium that has a octopus or two and I can appreciate them so much more now.

The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery, (Do they have souls? I think they do after reading this book!) is a book that will bring you closer to the world we live in, and teach you a thing or two about Octopuses! It's very readable, and enjoyable. It's also an interesting look behind the scenes at a large Aquarium, and how these "animals" are handled and truly loved.

4 tentacles for this one!

2 comments:

carol said...

Love Sy Montgomery! I was on the fence about picking this one up, but you may have convinced me.

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Carol!
My first time reading Sy Montgomery and I really enjoyed her writing style. Definitely a book worth reading - except for the fact I want my own Octopus now! ;-)

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant