Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Sunday Salon and Reader Resolutions..

Happy New Year! And welcome to The Sunday Salon! Winter has finally come to Connecticut and the excitement of a new year is in the air. As we put away our cut-offs and tank tops (yes, it was that warm last week) and we move indoors for the next few months, it's time to turn our attention back to reading and book shelves and other inside activities. Of course reading is always on our mind, isn't it. I almost always have a book with me just in case I get stuck somewhere. But what other bookish things do we do during the year or mean to do during the year? And do you have any reader resolutions?!

Reader Resolution #1… This is probably "Read More Books" for most people, or read more nonfiction or horror or "you fill in the blank" kind of books. Or read a specific amount of books… I signed up for the reading challenge of reading 50 books for the year (a lofty goal). But I have resolved to read more poetry in the past, and to read more science fiction too. But does it always have to be about reading? NO!

What About… Organization or decoration? How about  resolving to organizing your books in one place or by author or even by color?! How about resolving to get a book shelf or build one! Or how about rotating the books on your shelves? Do you like to have your favorites there, the currents there or a combination? I always have favorites on the shelves, but when I run out of room for some of the new books I want to shelve, it's time to rotate… and decide to store or donate (see resolution below)!

A Resolution to "Clean out the Shelves"…  Yes, for some of us it's hard to get rid of books. I NEVER throw out books, but every year I do clean out my shelves and donate books that I have read, but don't need to keep. My local library has a sale and my book donation helps raise money for things not in their budget.

Visit Your Local Library… Why not resolve this year to visit your local library?! Libraries are a great local resource for a lot of things and even just walking through those doors and checking out a book once in a while shows that people still use the library! I have a fantastic local library, but I can remember times when funding was leaner and budget cuts took away some of the things I enjoyed (like eBooks). If libraries aren't used they will disappear! In some places they already have.

Read What You Have!… This could be a sub category of "Read More" resolutions, but I think that it deserves it's own category! How many TBR books do you have on your shelf?(or nightstand or table…) TBR, aka To Be Read, can multiply like rabbits in some readers homes! I know this from experience. There are many reasons for buying a book and not reading it right away, but sometimes those books can get lost in the shelves for YEARS! Am I right?! So, why not resolve to read what you already have? Not easy with all these wonderful books coming out every month, but maybe resolving to read at least one for every new book you buy?

My Reader Resolutions are simple…

  1.  I resolve to read books that I think I will enjoy and if I'm not enjoying a book, I am going to put it down without guilt (that's hard sometimes). 
  2.  I resolve to sign up for reading challenges for FUN! I have signed up for a few reading challenges (read 50 books, read 12 Graphic Novels, read 6 library books), but I am NOT going to let the challenges rule my reading life! Theses challenges are for pleasure and fun, NOT Stress! And that includes my own Chick with Books "Book Bingo" Challenge, which I'm hosting as a FUN way to read books. 
  3. I resolve to use my library more. Not just because of the library challenge I signed up for, but because I don't need to buy every book I want to read and this will save some money!
  4. I resolve to Blog more! The past year or so life just got in the way a bit, but I miss chatting with everyone here and in the book blogging community! So expect more this year, including the fun stuff like giveaways! 
I'm hosting a FUN reading challenge! Book Bingo is a fun way to see if you can fill in the spaces of a bingo card with the books that you're reading! It's also a way to nudge you to read something you may not normally read, so you can get that space filled for a Bingo! Follow this link: Chick with Books "Book Bingo" to read all about it and join in on the fun! If you would like a printable Bingo card, just email me at quzy@mac.com and I'll get one to you!


**************************************************

I think that about does it for MY reader resolutions! What about YOU?! Do you have any Reader Resolutions for this year? Hope I shared some ideas for you! Let me know! And share any ideas you have with me here! I'd love to hear all about them!

Happy Reading… Suzanne




2 comments:

Harvee said...

I am definitely going to read more poetry this year and started with Garrison Keillor's Good Poems this morning.

I also am cleaning out old stuff, what a relief to see the walls and corners of rooms once again, and cleaned out shelves!

My doubles in books have been given away, the rest I keep! At least for now.

Happy New Year, Suzanne, and may we get to keep all our new year resolutions!

Suzanne Yester said...

Hi Harvee! I really enjoy Good Poems and open in every once in a while when I'm relaxing without a book to read. And I try to add a little poetry into my reading life too!

Happy New Year to you too, Harvee! Sounds like you are off to a great start!

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant