Literary Quote of the Month

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Chick with Books goes South...


That's right, Chick with Books is going South! I've got my Kindle packed (actually a few physical books made it into the "luggage" too), my camera, my ukulele and we're off! Our first destination is the Outer Banks in North Carolina where we'll be roughing it in a tent! And then our roadtrip continues around the Southern coast and looping back to Connecticut. Searching for some great indie bookstores along the way, great food and places to kick my shoes off and relax! We will probably make stops in Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA... but this is a roadtrip, right, so we're going where the road takes us...

While I was vaguely planning our direction and seeking out campsites, I got an email from a publicist with Henry Holt & Co. wanting to know if I'd like to read & review Under The Stars: How America Fell In Love With Camping by Dan White. Was it fate that brought that book to me or a sign that camping the Southern states was a good idea? I'm not sure, but it sure was timely! I'm not sure I'll get it in time to bring it along, but here's what I look forward to reading when I get back...

Under The Stars: How America Fell In Love With Camping by Dan White...  From the Sierras to the Adirondacks and the Everglades, Dan White travels the nation to experience firsthand—and sometimes face first—how the American wilderness transformed from the devil’s playground into a source of adventure, relaxation, and renewal.

Whether he’s camping nude in cougar country, being attacked by wildlife while “glamping,” or crashing a girls-only adventure for urban teens, Dan White seeks to animate the evolution of outdoor recreation. In the process, he demonstrates how the likes of Emerson, Thoreau, Roosevelt, and Muir—along with visionaries such as Adirondack Murray, Horace Kephart, and Juliette Gordon Low—helped blaze a trail from Transcendentalism to Leave No Trace.

Wide-ranging in research, enthusiasm, and geography, Under the Stars reveals a vast population of nature seekers, a country still in love with its wild places.

Question... Do you bring books with you to read on vacation? 

In the meantime, I hope you all have a great rest of June and a fabulous Fourth of July! I'll see ya'll back here Sunday, July 10th! I'll let you know what great books I read and if I found any great indie bookstores along the way. 

3 comments:

thecuecard said...

Enjoy your trip Suzanne! It sounds wonderful -- I've always wanted to go to the Outer Banks. I have been to Charleston and Savannah and loved both. Look forward to hearing about your trip. Have fun! & relax too.

Carla said...


Hope you have a great trip! The first few years we were married our vacation was just go in a general area and see what we could find. We had a small 2 person tent,later a popup camper. Our trips nowadays are more of day trips but I usually take my tablet and a book or magazine with me in a vehicle when I am passenger and not driver.
Have fun!

Unknown said...

Ngay tại Minh Khai Hai Bà Trưng xuất hiện 1 khu đô thị vô cùng hiện đại mang tên Imperia Sky Garden của chủ đầu tư HBI và đơn vị phát triển là MIK quần thể bao gồm Chung cư Imperia Sky Garden với đầy đủ Tiện ích Chung cư Imperia Sky Garden, Vị trí Chung cư Imperia Sky Garden tọa lạc tại 423 Minh Khai - Hai Bà Trưng. Xem chi tiết Mặt bằng Chung cư Imperia Sky Garden với đầy đủ diện tích.


Hiện nay Chung cư nào đang làm mưa thị trường bất động sản tại thị trường Chung cư hai bà trưng. 423 minh khai hai bà trưng sắp ra mắt một siêu dự án với quần thể tuyệt đẹp mang tên Chung cư impria sky garden 423 minh khai với vị trí đắc địa, xung quanh là quần thể tuyệt đẹp. Còn Chung cư cầu giấy nổi bật là dự án của Vinhomes với dự án Vinhomes trần duy hưng và các, còn tại phía tây thành phố hà nội Vinhomes Thăng LongVinhomes Mễ Trì đang chiếm vị trí độc tôn, cửa ngõ phía đông sang trọng và đẳng cấp bởi các căn Biệt thự Vinhomes riverside không gian trong lành, cuộc sống đẳng cấp.

FSB Media Book Blogger Directory
my read shelf:
Suzanne's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
First To Read
Reviews Published
Professional Reader
Challenge Participant